The applicant selection is a two-step process. It is based on r?sum? qualifications, portfolio, and completion of an on-site drawing test.
Step 1: A portfolio of specific drawings will be used to select applicants who will then advance to Step 2.
Once you apply to the program through www.ontariocolleges.ca, you will be sent a letter from admissions inviting you to submit a drawing portfolio and r?sum? directly to the Animation Arts Centre.
A total of 14 traditional drawings, i.e. pencil, cont?, ink, pastel or charcoal:
- six life drawings; must show entire body including head, hands and feet of subject in various poses
- two drawings of your own hand
- two object drawings; everyday items from around your house such as a kitchen appliance, coffee maker, can opener, TV remote, stapler, etc.
- two environment drawings; draw a two point perspective view of a room in your house from opposite corners, the horizon line should be at five (5) feet
- two drawings of your choice; choose your best two drawings
All artwork should be photocopied on 8 ½" x 11" paper. No original artwork please. After your portfolio has been assessed it will be destroyed, and cannot be returned to you. Do not staple or bind your drawings together in any way, and please ensure your name and student number is included on the back of every drawing you submit. Please do not include a cover letter with your artwork.
Portfolios will continue to be accepted until the class is full. You are encouraged to apply and submit your portfolio early to be assured due consideration. We recommend the following portfolio submission deadlines:
- No later than June 30th for the September/Fall semester
- No later than October 31st for the January/Winter semester
Step 2: Completion of an on-site drawing test.
Applicants who are unsuccessful in Step 1 will be notified by mail, and will not be included in Step 2 of the selection process.
If your portfolio is short listed for possible admission into the program, you will be contacted by a representative of the Animation Arts Centre to schedule an on-campus 30-minute drawing test. We will endeavor to schedule the test at a time of your convenience, ideally within one week of portfolio review.
During your visit you will have a chance to tour the animation labs and facilities.